Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Camping Adventure


This weekend was time for our annual Fathers Day camp out at uncle Art's. Unfortunately, the camping trip was canceled, so the boys and I decided to go to Preparation Canyon for a two day adventure of our own. The camp site was a one mile hike in, so I was reluctant to bring 3y/o Preston along. Ultimately however, we decided he would be crushed if he did not come along, so Thayne, Raiden, Quinton, Preston and myself headed out 8:00 Friday morning, and returned at 4:00 pm Sunday night. With out going into great detail the adventure went something like this: Arriving around noon to find the hiking trail mostly under water. Not finding a suitable campsite for two miles instead of one. Waking up @ 2am Saturday morning and hiking all five of us back to the car, driving 2 hours home to get Thayne's inhaler and immediately heading right back. Constantly picking ticks off of our extremities despite the unhealthy amount of DEET lathered about our bodies. Receiving 6.5 inches of rain Saturday night and then finding out that our new jumbo family tent is not quite water tight. Hiking back to the car in  more water than hiking in.

And I would not have traded a moment of it for the world! We had so much fun. Preston was born for the out doors. I was very worried when he insisted on bringing a back pack like his brothers, but he made both the hike in and the hike out with out a single complaint. We ate very well and through the amazing generosity of  a few inhabitants of the nearby town of Pisgah we had plenty of dry precut firewood.

NOTE TO MY SIBLINGS:
I have new admiration for our parents. I remember countless camping trips to Payson Lakes all throughout our youth and have nothing but fond memories of such outings. Camping with four small children was enjoyable but grueling. it was doing everything 4 times and being the last to fall asleep and first to wake up. I  can defiantly see myself investing in a tent trailer in the near future!

1 comment:

JessWilson said...

You are one amazing Daddy! Dad told me about your adventure in the middle of the night and both Greg and I agreed we would have just stayed home in our warm/clean beds. You're awesome and I hope you had a wonderful Fathers Day! Love, Jess

P.S. Yes, I agree about Mom and Dad. So many fond memories and only now as a parent to I realize what a sacrifice it was for them to make all of those memories take place. :)