Thursday, June 3, 2010

Like Heavan in a cup

I am not a fan of Rachael Ray and I do not record her daily talk show so that I can watch it after the boys go to bed. I just happened to turn it on one morning and just after the 15 minuet meal segment and right before the snack of the day she had a guest chef. She was this goofy middle aged woman with a store bought personality but her cooking creation.... well I liken it unto the discovery of the Dead Sea Scrolls.

Are you ready for it..... MUG CAKES!! OK I agree it doesn't sound right but try this and then tell me it is not inspiration!

1 Coffee Mug


4 tablespoons flour (that's plain flour, not self-rising)

4 tablespoons sugar

2 tablespoons baking cocoa

1 egg

3 tablespoons milk

3 tablespoons oil

3 tablespoons chocolate chips (optional) mini chips would be the best

Small splash of vanilla


Add dry ingredients to mug, and mix well.

Add the egg and mix thoroughly.

Pour in the milk and oil and mix well.

Add the chocolate chips (if using) and vanilla, and mix again.

Put your mug in the microwave and cook for 3 minutes at 1000 watts. The cake will rise over the top of the mug, but don't be alarmed!

Allow to cool a little, and tip out onto a plate and ice if desired.



Another tip, any instant cake mix will work in the same fashion. I put a Twinkie standing up in the middle of  a spice cake... WOW

(Tessa this is posted with you in mind)

4 comments:

Tessa said...

I was already on my way to the kitchen to start trying these before I finished reading. Oh my goodness sakes alive, these sound amazing!

You told me once to try baking brownies in a mug and then put ice cream on top and it has been a big hit among my familia and close friends (because I would not share something so delicious with just any acquaintance).

I shall be trying these very soon and report back. Thanks for the tip. True friends share great recipes.

Chellor said...

WOW I'm not supposed to be eating sweets again, however.... I may make one exception. Mug cakes look amazing!

Megan said...

what a fun idea! Thanks for sharing.
I'm glad you hear that you guys are doing good.

Tessa said...

Dear Mr. 'Tessa and Wendy's favorite person in the world' Smith,

I would like to tell you a story.

Once upon a time Tessa and her friend Wendy went to China. They liked Chinese food but discovered quickly a great lacking of baked goods, ingredients to make baked goods, or an actual oven to bake the baked goods. Tessa was very perplexed and sad at the prospect of going without delicious goodies for five months. However, one afternoon, Tessa remembered that a wonderful, amazing, fantastic, sent from heaven cousin of hers had posted about a cake that you make in a mug with a limited number of ingredients and cook in the microwave! She hurriedly bypassed the Firewall trying to waylay her plans and found the blessed recipe he posted on his blog. So after going to many different grocery stores over a period of time Tessa found all the ingredients necessary and made the delicious mug cakes. There was much joy in the hearts of Tessa and Wendy. The cousin of Tessa may have saved some young girls lives tonight, and if not lives, their spirits at least.

The End.

The cake was really good! Thank you so much for the recipe. These shall be made in our kitchen many times. If you have any other microwave recipes, let me know!